Dominic (Vin Diesel) and Letty (Michele Rodriguez) are in Cuba for their honeymoon when Dom meets a mysterious woman, Cipher (Charlize Theron) who asks him to work for him. When he refuses straight on face, she shows him a video (not shown to the audience) and Dom is left uneasy as Cipher leaves. Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) calls up Dom in order to help him with a job to which Dom agrees. However, on the site, Dom betrays Hobbs as well as his team and steals the item they had procured and goes underground.
Why did Dom go rogue? Where is he now? What video did Cipher show to Dom?
Positive points: –
- The film is only good in a few occasions which are the wow-moments of the film viz. The jail break fight sequence, some moments in the final car chase as well as every montage in which Jason Statham shows his action skills.
Negative points: –
- Unlike most other installments of the franchise, the car chases of this flick do not thrill you much. The series as well as it’s car chases seem to have lost their charm and don’t blame yourself if you felt sleepy while watching it.
- Poor writing, lack of punchlines, insipid story and crummy character development put you in the backseat throughout the run.
- The reason why Dom goes rogue is the biggest bleh moment of not just the movie but of the whole series.
- If I keep on writing, then I will have probably written over 10 points in this field so I would just say that almost everything except those wow-moments is wrong in this movie.
Direction, Script and Other Technicalities: –
F. Gary Gray may have directed popular movies like Friday, The Italian Job and Law Abiding Citizen but his experience and fame haven’t helped the movie much. Except a few action sequences, there is nothing wonderful that he could add to this film. Chris Morgan too seemed to have done the scripting of this movie in haste or with lack of interest and because his inefficiency has costed me over ₹150 (Bleh!).
Brian Tyler has done a fine job with the soundtrack of the movie and the songs played during the action sequences are jiving. There is nothing much outstanding in either the cinematography of Stephen Windon or the editing of Wagner and Rubel.
There is nothing outstanding in any of the performances of any of the actors so I wouldn’t go one by one for each except for these.
Charlize Theron is fine as the antagonist of the movie and does a justified job but she isn’t any terrifying or strong as a villain which isn’t her fault thanks to Chris Morgan.
Jason Statham may not have done anything great in acting in this feature but you can’t help but love him when he gets into his action avatar. He is undoubtedly the best action hero of this era.
Final Verdict: –
I would just day one thing: It’s time for the makers of this franchise as well as the cast to give up their keys and bring an end to this ride.