Aditya (Aditya Roy Kapoor) is a game developer who has come to Mumbai to pursue his dream of becoming an ace game developer. He meets Tara (Shraddha Kapoor), an architect who dreams to pursue higher studies in Paris, at his friend’s wedding and both become fast friends. Soon their friendship blossoms into love and both decide to move in together but with a condition that none is going to pursue the other for marriage. But can they easily let go of each other? Will departing be easy when time comes? What will they choose between love and career?
The crux of the story answers these questions.
Positive points: –
- The chemistry of the leads is superb and extremely sweet and this gives the movie its brownie points.
- The performance of the cast is splendid. Even Shraddha Kapoor has developed drastically with her acting skills and it’s definitely a good sign.
- The music of the movie is good and matches well with the mood of the movie.
- The animations showcasing the game sequences are great and enjoyable.
Negative points: –
- We all know Ok Jaanu is a remake of the tamil movie Ok Kanmani and the classic mistake every remake movie has is being a close replica of its parent. Anyone who has watched Ok Kanmani needn’t even watch this movie because not just the story, but the sequences, locations and dialogues are uncannily similar.
- Even if we assume that we haven’t seen Ok Kanmani, then also one cannot deny how clichéd this movie is. Come on! We have seen so many Ok Jaanu type movie in Bollywood itself (forget about other Indian movies and foreign language movies), then why go and watch another one!
- The movie has quite some observable glitches which cannot be ignored (For ex. In one sequence, Adi’s brother calls him to ask him the address of the house he lives in Mumbai even though he himself used to live for long in that same house few years ago).
Direction, Script and Other Technicalities: –
Shaad Ali does a fine job as a director but he doesn’t do anything great because he uses similar sequences from Ok Kanmani which gave me the feeling that Mani Ratnam was directing this flick too! Shaad could have experimented a lot in terms of locations or camera angles or atleast dialogues to give the movie his own touch. But alas! This flick is just like the one it is inspired from.
Mani Ratnam and Gulzar have done a good job with the writing of the movie. Although the script explores the sweetness of Adi and Tara’s relationship quite well, it doesn’t provide any out of the box story which makes the movie a regular romantic flick and nothing else.
On technical aspects the movie does really well especially the animations are wonderful and even better than that in Ok Kanmani (though the sequences are similar here too!). R. K. Chandran does a great job with the movie’s cinematography while A. Sreekar Prasad edits the movie well and tight. A. R. Rahman does a good job with the music of the movie and the song ‘Enna Sonn’a stands out of all. The rest are just remade from the Tamil version although they are no less good. The only disappointment is ‘Humma’ which is a disgrace to the original one. I wished Rahman hadn’t remade atleast this song, but anyways!!
Aditya Roy Kapoor steals the show with his jovial performance. He fits into the character perfectly and undoes all his precious failures with his delectable act.
Shraddha Kapoor does an impressive job as well and this is the first time I have ever liked her performance. She is expressive as well as articulate with her dialogues and doesn’t overdo or underdo her act in any sequences.
Naseeruddin Shah does a terrific job as Adi’s landlord and yet again proves why he still is one of the most sought after actor in this industry.
Leela Sampson does a good job as Naseer’s amnesic wife as well.
Final Verdict: –
Ok Jaanu is an extremely clichéd movie and doesn’t go too far from the conventional romantic movies. Ok Kanmani fans may give it a miss because they wont be seeing much novelty in it. Inspite of all these, good performances and the endearing chemistry of Aditya and Shraddha make Ok Jaanu an entertaining casual watch.